Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Wizard's Magic Potion WIZARDLY RANCH DRESSING


Being a Wizard is a full time job. Part of the job responsibilities of this particular Wizard is feeding the Winged Monkeys three times a day, including snacks and beverages. I have already introduced you to the King of the Winged Monkeys and he is very particular about what he eats. Due to his leadership role, if he boycotts a particular food it typically leaves a negative impression on the other Monkeys and before you know it, none of them are eating the prepared food item before them. One way the Wizard has learned how to magically make some, not all, but some of the foods more appealing to the King, is by making one of my Magic Potions also known as Ranch Dressing. This magical potion has such strong properties that it will make even the pickiest Monkey eat vegetables and meats that otherwise would have been tossed aside. I am sharing with you the recipe here, that is in my opinion, so much healthier for you than store bought Ranch Dressings. You control the fat content and no preservatives and no yucky msg. I like to make it in a large canning jar and just shake it all together and the best part is that it is good for up to two weeks in the refrigerator...oh and don't forget that the money you save from making it yourself leaves extra spending money for the Wizard to purchase other necessities, like eye of newt and toe of frogs..you get the idea.

WIZARDLY RANCH DRESSING
makes about 3/4 cup and only a few minutes of prep time. Use organic ingredients when you can.



1/3 cup mayo (I use nonfat)
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1/3 cup milk (again you control the fat so either nonfat, lowfat etc)
1 tablespoon of white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dill

I would let it sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. As stated it is good for up to two weeks. Another little tip from this Wizard is don't just grab your spices/dried herbs needed for this recipe from the baking isle. Many of those shelved there are very expensive. Instead check out the bulk isle. My grocery store has some by the frozen food isle. I purchase It's Delish brand for my potions and you can get a large 1oz container for a fraction of the cost. It may sound silly but I feel good about making my own dressings for the Monkeys and any way I can limit their exposure to chemicals/preservatives I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment