Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Winged Monkeys

That's right, I think I am a Wizard. Not just any Wizard. The Great Wizard. Perhaps you are doubting my wizardly skills. That's okay. I know what I am, for only a Wizard with wizardly skills as mine, could make magic happen day after day with no nanny, no housekeeper, no accountant, no chef, no personal assistant etc. I battle the dangerous cyclone produced by the Winged Monkeys daily and on most days find myself, although tired, victorious. This summer we began reading the classic The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L.Frank Baum and if you and your kids haven't read it, we recommend it. As we read chapter by chapter, page by page, I realized how much I really had in common with the Great Wizard and my children unfortunately (for me that is) with the Winged Monkeys. You see, the Winged Monkeys are 'full of mischief... they are careless and happy and full of fun'. The King of The Winged Monkeys, is not the oldest in years of the three, but by far the most defiant and rambunctious. His name is Colby and is nearly five. He is their leader. The other two Monkeys are Gracie who is six and Ethan who is nearing his first birthday. It is an indisputable fact, my husband and I are out numbered. Trying to control the chaos produced by the Winged Monkeys does prove to be challenging and that is how my powerful sorcery and magic were born - out of necessity for survival. I will try to share with you the secrets of my magic, the potions I create and the spells that I cast in hopes that it might help you find your way 'From the Land of Oz' to home again.

2 comments: